From 1874 until it was destroyed in the Second World War, the Anhalter Bahnhof freight railyard was here. Until a serious accident in 1912, railway lines crossed here in the form of a triangle or “Dreieck”, from which the area takes its name. Passenger and freight rail services ceased here after 1945 and only S-Bahn and U-Bahn trains continued to cross the former railway yards, which gradually turned into an inaccessible urban wasteland. Various plans for it were made from the 1970s, ranging from construction through to road building, but initiatives started by citizens, who regarded it as ideal for an urgently-needed recreational space, successfully blocked the construction plans. In 1997 the State of Berlin decided to turn the site into a park.
From the outset, Berliners’ wishes and ideas were included in planning and creating the park. Before the two-stage landscape planning competition was launched, there was an intensive exchange of views and ideas with future users in the form of household surveys, online dialogues and local events. Work to create the winning entry by Atelier Loidl (Berlin) began in 2008. In 2011 the park’s eastern section (Ostpark) was completed and two years later its western section (Westpark) was finished. The Park ensemble, with the adjoining Flaschenhals Park and Monumentenplatz linking the north-south green corridor, was completed in 2014. It will continue to be further developed in the context of procedural completion with the participation of citizens, whose wishes and ideas are represented by a users’ advisory board.