Timeline

From shunting railyard to nature reserve and park

From 1912                  
Work begins to expand Tempelhof shunting railyard.
1927                      
The water tower is constructed.
From 1942                                 
The railway yard is a frequent target of Allied bombing raids (with considerable destruction of technical equipment and buildings).
From 1946                  
The Reichsbahn gradually ceases railway operations in Berlin‘s western sectors.
June 1972               
As part of an overall plan for (West) Berlin’s freight transport, the Berlin House of Representatives (Abgeordnetenhaus) approves planning for a freight and shunting yard here.
Oct. 1980              
The Bürgerinitiative Schöneberger Südgelände (BI)  citizens’ initiative is founded.
Dec. 1980             
Documents for a first planning approvals process are opened for public inspection.
1981                      
The results of an ecological expert report show that the Südgelände is one of Berlin‘s most valuable natural landscapes.
Aug. 1983              
Public criticism of plans for a new southern railway yard grows. Beginning of munitions clearing and termination of munitions clearing due to protests by BI.
March-June 1984     
Members of the citizens’ initiative and scientists develop an initial plan for an allotment area and Natur-Park on an almost 200-hectare site.
14th Jan. 1987         
The »Förderverein des Natur-Parks und eines Naturschutzzentrums auf dem Schöneberger Südgelände e.V.« is founded by the »Schöneberger Südgelände« citizens‘ initiative.
Oct. 1988              
The landscape programme becomes legally binding, so the Natur-Park development and securing of the Südgelände as a landscape conservation area and some areas as nature conservation areas become planning objectives.
Jan. 1989               
As part of new railway freight agreements between the West Berlin Senate and the GDR, use of the southern freight railyard (Südgüterbahnhof) is permanently discontinued.
Nov. 1989             
Fall of the Berlin Wall and opening of the GDR’s borders.
May 1992               
A survey and evaluation of vegetation and fauna is carried out (by Ökocon, commissioned by the BUGA 1995 GmbH).
1995                      
A planning permission decision is taken on the rail installations in the site’s central section. In compensation for the impact on nature due to railway works it is decided that 18 ha of the Südgelände will be withdrawn from railway use and developed as a nature reserve and park.
1996       
Work begins on construction measures to turn the site into a nature reserve and park based on a concept by Grün Berlin GmbH (formerly BUGA 1995 GmbH).
1996                      
The Allianz Umweltstiftung and State of Berlin sign a support agreement. Support amount: 1.8 million Deutschmarks.
March 1999             
The protected area regulation (Schutzgebietsverordnung), establishing the park as a landscape conservation area and parts of it as a nature conservation area, comes into force.
27th of May 2000         
The Natur-Park Schöneberger Südgelände, a »worldwide EXPO project«, is opened amid festivities by Senator Peter Strieder and the Manging Director of the Allianz Umweltstiftung, Dr. Lutz Spandau.