The ‘Baureihe 50’ was a versatile and relatively economical freight locomotive popular with railway workers that was built from 1939. 350 German railways’ (Deutsche Reichsbahn - DR) Baureihe 50 locomotives were in the GDR after the war. 208 of them were modernised and equipped with new tanks and some also with new tenders in the 1960s. They were increasingly decommissioned from the mid-1970s and the last of them were withdrawn from active service in 1987.
The steam locomotive on show in the Natur-Park Schöneberger Südgelände, locomotive number 50 624, factory number 25843, was built in 1940 at Henschel near Kassel. After the war it was in the GDR. It was restored in the 1960s and renumbered as 50 3707. In the early 1980s it was decommissioned but still used as a heating locomotive. After the fall of the Berlin Wall it was acquired by steam railway enthusiasts in Halberstadt. It’s now a popular attraction for visitors to the Natur-Park Südgelände and together with the water tower is a well-known park landmark.