The creation of the Volkspark goes back to a suggestion by the horticultural director Albert Brodersen, who had the disused Rieselfeld grounds laid out as a central Berlin school garden in 1909. Found features, such as the small and large Zinger pond and the plants and trees of the Brandenburg forests, were incorporated into the design, and agricultural areas were laid out. Apple trees line the field borders; ornamental woods flank the main paths. The park forest was established starting in 1911. A major concern at the time was also to supply Berlin schools with plant material for botany and drawing classes.
During the two world wars, the Berlin population could be supplied with agricultural products from the park's fields. After 1945, the park was restored and used as a central station for young naturalists – at that time, the game enclosure, the aviaries and the stables were also added. From 1977, until the fall of the Berlin Wall, the Humboldt University used the grounds. The show greenhouses from the 1920s were reconstructed, and new tropical greenhouses and glasshouses were built. The arboretum of European tree species, also established in the 1920s, was expanded. In 1994, the senate declared the site a public green space and elevated it to the status of a garden monument.
Grün Berlin GmbH took over the development and operation of the Botanical Volkspark Blankenfelde-Pankow from the district of Pankow at the beginning of 2011. A utilisation concept is available for the park development, which provides for a contemporary resumption of the original educational purpose of the facility. In addition, further offers in the area of leisure and health are to increase the attractiveness of the public green space for the visitors.