Since 2014 the T4 Memorial and Information Point has commemorated those murdered in the Nazi’s euthanasia programme in the Kulturforum’s northern area.
In 2014 the T4 Memorial and Information Point was erected in the northern section of the Kulturforum to commemorate those murdered in the Nazi’s “euthanasia” programme. From January 1940 to August 1945 the office that coordinated and was responsible for “Aktion T4”, the mass murder of patients from clinics and psychiatric institutions, named for the address of its planning headquarters at Tiergartenstrasse 4, was here. In 2011 the German Parliament (Deutsche Bundestag) decided to erect a “memorial for those murdered in the Nazi euthanasia programme” on the historic site at Tiergartenstrasse 4 Berlin, close to the Philharmonie.
The Memorial and Information Point was built based on a prize-winning design entered in a 2013 design competition by the Arbeitsgemeinschaft (working group) of Ursula Wilms / Heinz W. Hallmann / Nikolaus Koliusis. The core of the concept is a blue, 24-metre-long glass wall that rests on a dark base “confronting” the linear open-air exhibition. The exhibition documents biographies of euthanasia victims and the history of the euthanasia programme and its effects into the present day.
After completion, the Memorial and Information Point was transferred to the responsibility of the Foundation Memorial to the Murdered Jews of Europe (Stiftung Denkmal für die ermordeten Juden Europas). The T4 Memorial and Information Point complements the development of the open spaces in and around the Kulturforum that is prescribed in the Master Plan and is currently being implemented.