The Geology Wall was built between 1891 and 1895 based on a design by teacher and geologist Eduard Zache in the Volkspark Humboldthain. It highlighted new knowledge about landscape development and the improved adult and school education of the inhabitants of the rapidly growing city in the late 19th century in a practical way, after the model of natural scientist Alexander von Humboldt.
The Wall, 30 metres long, 2.5 metres high and built of 123 different stones from all over Germany, represents a cross section of the geological history of Central Europe,
showing the progress of formations, their structural conditions and the main tectonic events. In 1914 the wall was moved to the newly founded central school garden in Blankenfelde. After more than 100 years, the Geology Wall still largely represents our current state of geological knowledge.
Our tip: The Umweltbüro Pankow offers guided tours of the Geology Wall.