The Park Forest, a ‘forest mosaic’ made up of plant communities typical of the Mark Brandenburg, was created for educational purposes. In his design for the central school garden in 1909, Albert Brodersen planned a naturally modelled forest area to contrast with the site’s pre-existing regular grid structure. The forest consists mainly of pines, birches, oaks, hornbeams, ashes, spruces, mature beech trees, bird cherry trees and poplars.
A forested edge consisting of blackthorns, elders, blackberries and other domestic shrubs marks the boundaries of two meadows. Over the decades the Park Forest has developed into a valuable biotope and is now a habitat for many kinds of plants and animals, some of them protected. Away from the main path, the forest’s natural development is promoted by the deliberate leaving of old and dead trees, nesting trees and hollow and rotting trees.