This park was named after the Berlin painter Hans Baluschek (1870 – 1935), whose paintings focused on two subjects: the lives of Berliners and the railways.
The seven-hectare Hans Baluschek Park, part of the Schöneberger Südgelände between the Priesterweg and Südkreuz S-Bahn railway stations, was opened in 2002. This slender 1.5-kilometre-long green space forms the southern section of the Nord-Süd-Grünzug (North-south green corridor). In 2015 it became possible to walk, cycle or skate in a green space protected from vehicle traffic from the Natur-Park Südgelände in Schöneberg to the government district in Mitte.
The park was named after Berlin painter Hans Baluschek (1870 – 1935), whose paintings focused on two main subjects – the lives of Berliners and the railways. Naming the park after him honours both the painter and the history of this site, a former railway yard.
At the heart of the park, designed by Gabriele Kiefer, is a four-metre-wide asphalt path. Along the path are four lookout areas, each designed and named according to their function: Platz des Sonnens (sunny space), Platz des Picknicks (picnic space), Platz des Spiels (play space) and Platz des Sports (sports space). In reference to the site’s history as a railyard, Corten steel was chosen as the material for the path’s slopes and borders. Expansive meadows, birches and a grove of robinia trees reference the wild vegetation typical of railway sites. A pedestrian bridge over the S-Bahn railway tracks links the Hans Baluschek Park with the Natur-Park Schöneberger Südgelände, also part of the Nord-Süd-Grünzug (North-south green corridor).